Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Final Battle


After 50 years since my battle's in Herot, I have reigned as King of the Geats. I learn that a fire breathing dragon has been terrorizing my country. This dragon is fire breathing, but he also has poison in his breath. I take my men with me in hopes of defeating yet another monster. But this time, age is against me. No man but me could hope to defeat this monster. We go, and stand in awe of the monster. Knowing a man had come, its breath came first, a steaming cloud pouring from the stone. Then the earth itself shook. I swung my shield into place and then held it. The monster came quickly toward me, pouring out fire and smoke.. Flames beat at the iron shield, and for a time it held, protected me as I had planned; then it began to melt. I raised my sword and struck at the dragons scaly hide. Doing little to no damage, for the first time, my sword had failed me. I faced Death in the face. With nothing to protect me, the dragon came at me, and his flames surrounded me. No one had come to help me. I looked around, and I was there.. all alone. Alone, except for one good man, Wiglaf, a good soldier who could see his king suffering. I remember his words well, "I’d rather burn myself than see flames swirling around my lord." I sold my life, for this treasure, and I sold it well. I leave everything to Wiglaf, my treasure and my throne. I request that the Geats build me a tower in my honor facing the ocean.. For all those who pass by can remember me in fame. The Legend of Beowulf.

No comments:

Post a Comment