Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Battle with Grendel's Mother.


I vow to seek out Grendel's mother, no matter where she may hide, proclaiming to the Danes:
"Let your sorrow end! It is better for us all
 To avenge our friends, not mourn them forever.
Each of us will come to the end of this life
On earth; he who can earn it should fight
For the glory of his name; fame after deatH
 Is the noblest of goals. Arise, guardian
Of this kingdom, let us go, as quickly as we can,
And have a look at this lady monster." 

I travel down to her dungeon, facing many more monsters along the way. She takes me into her meadhall, which is to her disadvantage. With my sword, shield and armor the battle begins. My sword fails me, it does not pierce through her rough skin. I found a sword in her meadhall, made by the giants with magic, and I behead the evil monster. This victory, is mine. I make my way back to the surface with my fellow Geats and see Grendel's lifeless body lying there. I take his head with me for a token of what once haunted Herot.
Beowulf beheading Grendel's mother.


No comments:

Post a Comment